Adoption in China completed July 2016 – Wooohoooooo!
Adoption is a journey
I share my adoption story to persuade others to share their life stories.
We are lucky. We are unlucky.
Life is that way.
Behind every picture is a deeper story. Dare to ask and listen to the stories around you. You are not alone.
2015 – Adoption Journey #2 From Sweden to China via Costa Rica
- January 2015 – We return to Costa Rica after a Christmas vacation in Sweden
- February 2015 – We recreate our adoption dossier one more time
- 5 March 2015 – All papers finally complete, collected & sent to Notarius Publicus
- 27 March 2015 – Official papers stamped & sent to China – finally! Now we begin – again!
- 18 May 2015 – We are finally approved! An email arrives letting us know that the LOA (Letter of Approval) is on the way! Time to book tickets from Costa Rica back to Sweden, prepare our home, and then travel to China
- 25 May 2015 – “Letter Of Approval” signed & returned to our adoption agency
- 8 June 2015 – Tickets booked to China – finally! All via points – not an easy task but totally possible
- 11 June 2015 – “Notice of Traveling to China for Adoption” received by our agency
- 19 June 2015 – We travel to Beijing for 2 weeks of tourism
- 6 July 2015 – We meet our new son in Nanning, China!
- 7 July 2015 – We sign the official papers for legal adoption
- 16 July 2015 – We arrive home to Sweden as a family
2014 – Adoption Journey #1 from Kenya via Costa Rica
- 21 February 2014 – Full application to adopt from Kenya submitted to Barnens Vänner (Children’s Friends)
- 28 February 2014 – Application received by Little Angels Network in Nairobi, Kenya
- 8 March 2014 – Life’s Handbook Blog started by JoEllen
- 13 March 2014 – Emergency operation to remove an ovarian cyst. JoEllen is back in the same hospital where her son Kasper died due to mistakes made during delivery (medical malpractice). Time to give this body and soul a rest…
- 15 April 2014 – Infertility Certificate sent to Kenya
- 29 April 2014 – Agency BV changes rules requiring Infertility Certificate to match new guidelines for National Adoption Committee
- 27 July 2014 – NOTHING happening so we decide to move to Costa Rica while waiting as our house is rented and we plan to live in Nairobi for 9 months…
- 5 August 2014 – Additional papers requested & sent for review before submission to Kenya’s National Adoption Committee
- 8 August 2014 – Adoption papers officially sent to National Adoption Committee in Kenya for review
- 27 November 2014 – (Thanksgiving Day) President Kenyatta imposes a moratorium on all international adoptions. We mourn yet another loss in our journey…
- 14 December 2014 – We receive info about a 2-year-old boy in China
- 29 December 2014 – We say YES and start over with the paperwork – a whole new application!
2013 – Preparing for Our Adoption Journey
- It all began during after son Kasper’s death: We mourned while still seeking to grow our family…
- 14 January 2013 – We enroll for the obligatory Adoption Classes to adopt in Sweden which has a recommended age limit of 42. By applying before Jo’s 42nd birthday, we hope to be approved. Approval is good for 2 years from the date of consent.
- 26 – 27 January 2013 – We attend our first Adoption Classes
- 16-17 February 2013 – We continue our Adoption Classes
- March – Completion of Adoption Certification / Travel to Mexico
- April – We escape to Mexico for 6 weeks of rest
- May – 3rd miscarriage
- 7 May 2013 – First meeting with Uppsala Kommun for adoption
- 17 June – Adoption meeting with Uppsala Kommun
- July – Adoption offices in Sweden are closed for the summer…
- 29 July 2013 – Jonas’ birthday / JoEllen experiences starts hemorrhaging
- 31 July 2013 – JoEllen has 4th miscarriage requiring emergency surgery/abortion #1
- 19 August 2013 – JoEllen’s Interview for adoption with Uppsala Kommun
- 21 August 2013 – Jonas’s interview for adoption with Uppsala Kommun
- 21 August 2013 – Physical exam completed for adoption application – includes HIV & Urogenital lab tests
- 28 August 2013- Barnens Vänner full membership paid
- 10 September 2013 – Home Study Visit / Full family interview for adoption with Uppsala Kommun
- 24 September 2013 – Review of Home Study Report with Uppsala Kommun
- 19 November 2013 – Received Home Study APPROVAL by local authority & consent is given to seek international adoption
- December – 5th miscarriage ends with abortion #2 in the hospital 2 days before Christmas Eve
2012 – Our biological son’s death
- January – JoEllen’s 40 year birthday
- February – beginning of an easy pregnancy
- 6 November 2012 – Kasper Love Jonasson Nordström born but injured during birth due to numerous mistakes officially declared by the hospital (medical malpractice)
- 14 November 2012 – Kasper is removed from life support and dies in his mother’s arms
Life before our tragedy – Going back in time
- 2011 – December ends with second miscarriage
- October – First miscarriage & then family travels to Florida
- January – New Zealand on a family road trip for 6 weeks
- 2010 – International travel as nomadic family to various locations
- 2009 – Baby Astrid Nordström is born and our family becomes 6
(She is breech and born via a planned caesarean.)
- 2008 – Jonas & JoEllen marry
- JoEllen becomes a stepmother to 3 (Sigrid – 15; Ragna – 13; & Gunnar – 11)
- 2007 – JoEllen moves to Sweden and the Nordström family (from single life to a family of 5)
- 2006 – International long-distance dating between USA and Sweden
- Jonas & JoEllen discuss adoption for the first time when Jonas says he wants to have a child together…
- 2005 – Jonas flies to Florida to see “what if” and the results are positive. We still have a strong connection after 16 years…
- 1992 – Jonas flies to Kansas to visit JoEllen during her spring break during college.
- 1989 – Once upon a time in a social democratic land up north JoEllen participates in PeaceQuest and meets Jonas (Olsson) Nordström for the first time…